A Matter of Space and Perspective - Cyclists’ and Car Drivers’ Assumptions about Subjective Safety in Shared Traffic Situations
R. von Stülpnagel, H. RintelenConference room
- We investigate the subjective safety cyclists and drivers associate with specific road designs with a large online survey.
- Mixed traffic is considered unsafe not only by cyclists, bur by car drivers as well.
- A prominently designated cycling boulevard appears to impress the intended priority of cyclists over cars.
- On wide cycling lanes, cyclists feel almost as safe as car drivers, even when riding next to parked cars.
- Narrow cycling lanes feel safe for drivers, but very unsafe for cyclists, especially next to parked cars.
Wed 23:44 - 00:00