Required field of view of a sensor for an advanced driving assistance system to prevent heavy-goods-vehicle to bicycle accidents
Ernst Tomasch, Heinz Hoschopf, Karin Ausserer, Jannik RießNews room
- Most frequent HGV vs. cyclists are accidents at junctions and turning to right situations followed by overtaking maneuvres
- Driving path of a HGV differs significantly from that of a passenger car and thus requirements of sensor differ either
- About one third of the trucks were accelerating from a stopped position (e.g. at a junction) and failed to see the cyclist
- At the time it becomes apparent that the HGV and cyclist are crossing each other’s path, it is not possible to stop in time
- For optimum effectiveness, the appropriate lateral zones must remain free from obstructions, i.e. parked vehicles, vegetation, etc.
Wed 23:43 - 00:00